Forum Home Forum Home > General > Madeleine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedLive versus Recorded

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Jim Rosenthal View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Jim Rosenthal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2006 at 2:22am

Maybe I was lucky. Not all the feedback from the DC concert was favorable, I think. I thought, however, that it was terrific.

FWIW, I have friends who saw several of the same artists (inc Coltrane) and complained that they felt that their performance was "mailed in". Today we might say "faxed in". I guess everyone can have an off night.

Miles Davis said two words at the end of the gig: "Thank you". I heard later that for him that amounted to an oration.

Has anyone heard any of Sam Yahel's own CDs and do they have any recommendations? or his stuff with Joshua Redman? just curious.

Edited by Jim Rosenthal
Jim Rosentha;
Woenie View Drop Down

Quote Woenie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2006 at 2:07am

yesterday, madeleine was in holland. The conert was short, and her voice sounds the same all te time. After 3 songs, it's getting boring. so, i rather listen to the CD.

the band was great!

RichardS View Drop Down

Quote RichardS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2006 at 4:07am
I have read the discussion of Live versus Recorded with interest, unable to
add anything to the argument as I had not seen Madeleine live. In the
past week I have seen Madeleine's performances at the Sage Gateshead
(on the 12th) and the next day at the Barbican in London. Both were
excellent!

Madeleine's voice was superb, song selection good and delivery excellent.
In-between chat was limited but friendly. Although a somewhat tentative
start , particularly at Gateshead, she soon relaxed and gave a confident
performance both nights, clearly enjoying herself as were the group -
they all linked arms to take the bows at the end of the Gateshead concert.
At Gateshead I was front row centre and so was close enough to see
Madeleine's facial expressions (OK - occasionally she does appear to look
fed up but it was clear that she was happy to be there). I think with
Madeleine what you see is what you get. There is no pretence, false stage
manners or fake smiles.

Whether you enjoy a concert depends on a number of things, not just the
performance - the venue, where you are sitting, even the day you have
had, will all have an effect. I don't want to go to a live concert to see
some over produced glossy performance and hear a simple regurgitation
of the CDs. One reason for going to a live performance is to hear the
performer add something to the songs - this may mean that you do not
get perfection, but you hear things in the songs that you may not have
noticed and makes you go back to the originals to listen anew.

If you want to hear Madeleine sing the songs as they sound on the
recorded versions - pin her picture on the wall and play the cds. I
however cannot wait to see her again when she returns to the UK.
kobe View Drop Down

Quote kobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2006 at 2:05pm

Hello Richard,

I think pinning her picture on the wall and playing her CD's is a great idea whether I go to the concerts or not. I have a couple of her pictures on my computer as random screen savers.

What kind of venues are the Sage Gatehead and the Barbican. Are they smaller concert halls, Clubs or small country sized concert venues where starscopes are needed to see the stage? I am of the belief that she is more comfortable in a smaller venue.

Thanx for the insight. - Kobe

ronkobe
RichardS View Drop Down

Quote RichardS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2006 at 3:01pm
Kobe

Both are small(ish) concert halls - the Sage 1700 seats, the Barbican
saramadi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote saramadi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2006 at 8:19pm
Some have liked Madi concerts. More haven't. Everyone save a few (no names mentioned) loves her CDs.

Has anyone ever said she sounded better in concert than she does on her sublime CDs?

Even when I loved her performance in 1997 at the Montreal Jazz Fest, I didn't think it was as good as that first CD.
Cheers!
Sebastian View Drop Down

Quote Sebastian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2006 at 3:51pm
I love Madeleine's live performances.

I have seen her perform in Europe several times now. Each time has been a revelation and sublime in every way.
I recognise some of traits which seem to disappoint some of you. Sometimes she does not sound like the recording with the CD. For me this is just fine. Sometimes she sounds less polished - there is rawness to her peformance, which gives it an edge. Each time, however, her voice has been captivating and enthralls me.

I do not go to live performances for a celuloid, synthetic reproduction of what I can listen to at home. I go for something live and organic. Nor do I go to see a diva performance which is more about the cosmetic appearance, the slick well rehearsed patter. I would admit that sometimes Madeleine seems a little awkward and would also agree that she perhaps suits smaller venues better. However, ultimately I really do love seeing her live. Perhaps I have lower expectations or demands than others, I'd like to think not. I think it is more a case as one forum member put it once, sinking in and allowing myself to enjoy the moment.

It is curious to see that reviews of the same perfomances of Madeleine's can be quite different. See the reviews for her recent Edingburgh show.

I have enjoyed reading all your views of Madeleine's performances. Keep them coming in. I hope you continue to enjoy Madeleine whether in the comfort of your own living room or live.

Happy Christmas - Seb
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12