Forum Discription: Discussion of all things Madeleine
URL: http://www.madeleinepeyroux.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=200
Printed Date: April 25 2024 at 2:35pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.53 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Madi in Portland
Posted By: Teresa
Subject: Madi in Portland
Date Posted: October 01 2006 at 8:11pm
I went to Madeleine's concert last night, and she did a great job!  She sang well, and seemed to have a good time entertaining the packed crowd.  
Thanks for coming back to Portland!  This was the 5th time I've seen her in two years.  

-------------
Teresa

Replies:
Posted By: RonJon
Date Posted: October 02 2006 at 11:07am
Teresa...were you at the same show I was? I love Madeleine's music & this was the 1st time I had ever seen her. After 100's of shows over the past 30 years, this was the only time I exited midway through a show. She was obviously disgusted with the venue, rambling about it between each song. This was a sold out show, or close to it...her fans deserved more than the apathetic perfomance and foul mood that several of the departing couples I followed out door had witnessed . Dead

Posted By: John Adam
Date Posted: October 02 2006 at 6:24pm

I have to agree with RonJon.  This was the first time I have seen Madeleine live and it was a disappointment.  To be honest, I attended the concert for the opening act - Vienna Teng. Vienna was great!

Having heard Madeleine on the radio - and with all the positive buzz about her - I figured it would be a good evening. However, her stage mannerisms made me tense, nervous, and wanting to look away. Even when I closed my eyes to focus on her voice, I was not impressed. 

I wanted to leave - one of my 2 sons (the musician in the family) did leave.  The other son commented later that he thought she had "one too many" before the show.  Unfulfilled vocal talent; amateur stage presence; waste of money.

-------------
John Adam

Date Posted: October 03 2006 at 2:46pm

I just received some more background on what possibly twisted Madeleine's vibe. A friend who went to her last show in Portland said that at the last minute they moved the venue from the more spacious & toney Arlene Schnitzer to the Aladdin. Being a producer/director himself, he said it easily took 4-5 songs for her to snap out of her funk. This time around, the venue was changed from the Crystal Ballroom to the Aladdin...evidently too much for her to roll with.Cry

I'm sorry, but with close to a 1000 rabid fans present, she could have been singing from a rock on Mt. Tabor & all would have been good...if she didn't resort to her personal pity party.

Posted By: saramadi
Date Posted: October 03 2006 at 3:02pm
I love Madi but have been twice disappointed in live performances, most recently last year at Boston's Berklee Performance Center. But her CD/studio voice is remarkable. First time I ever heard of Madi when when I saw her at the Montreal Jazz Festival, I think in 1998. She was wonderful there.

Hey John Adam, I just had a listen to Vienna Teng on iTunes, and I LIKE. I've bought/downloaded one of her albums to listen some more. Thanks for mentioning her.

-------------
Cheers!

Posted By: MikeD
Date Posted: October 08 2006 at 9:08am

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what the size and makeup of Madeline's band is? Did she play any piano, or just guitar?

Thanks!

Date Posted: October 08 2006 at 5:00pm
I've never known her to play the piano. Mostly she plays acoustic guitar. The accompaniers on her most recent CD are:
Dean Parks - guitar
David Piltch - bass
Jay Bellarose - drums
Scott Amendola - drums
Sam Yahel - keyboards
Gary Foster - saxophone
Greg Leisz - pedal steel
Till Bronner - trumpet
Larry Goldings - celeste

She has appeared as a guest vocalist on albums done by Larry Goldings and Till Bronner.

-------------
Cheers!

Posted By: MikeD
Date Posted: October 08 2006 at 7:06pm

Thanks saramadi. What I wanted to know, though, is the instrumental lineup on her current tour. Can anyone who's seen her recently report on that - not necessarily the names, just the instruments.

Thanks very much!

Date Posted: October 09 2006 at 2:22pm
Oh!

I know Scott Amendola is playing drums and Ron Miles is playing trumpet on her current tour. But that's all I know as I haven't seen her on this tour.

-------------
Cheers!

Date Posted: October 09 2006 at 2:26pm
As I have said previously, I have been disappointed in seeing Madi live while rejoicing in her CDs. Others here have been disappointed as well.

I have not seen her on her current tour. But I have come across one glowing review of her performance at the Paramount Theatre in Oakland. See:
http://www.insidebayarea.com/bayarealiving/ci_4450410

-------------
Cheers!

Posted By: paximus
Date Posted: October 09 2006 at 2:47pm

I was at the performance at Oaklands Paramount Theatre. This was my first time seeing her perform, and I have to heartily agree with the writer it was a wonderful and intimate performance.

She appeared to be really relaxed throughout the evening, sang beautifully and interacted with the audience in a comfortable manner.

Only when she discovered her Capo was missing did things become a little uncomfortable IMO, as her stage manager unceremoniously dumped her purse onstage and walked off. The whole while though, she joked with the audience and made light of it, and when the audience member Amanda answered that she did in fact have a capo and would she like to borrow it the audience exploded in applause and cheering when she brought it up and handed it to Madeliene.

The band was phenomenal! what a quartet of musicians!! The evening was just one amazing set after another and my lady and I are very much looking forward to seeing her again in the near future.

-------------
Pax Smith
"Goodbye and thanks for all the fish!"

Posted By: goldie
Date Posted: October 12 2006 at 10:24pm

Can anyone who's seen Madeleine recently tell me what the format of her show is?

How long is she on for... is she doing encores??

I want to see her in January and am wondering how big a night it is!

thanks

Posted By: doug
Date Posted: October 13 2006 at 1:10pm
So, I say she sucked live two years ago people jump all over me. But here
she is, still doing the same crap (often) to her ticket buying, album
buying, adoring audience whenever poor "Madi" isn't in the mood. The
venue wasn't right. She lost her capo. Don't miss "...the best jazz vocalist
of our time." Just make sure you don't see her on a night when they get
her Chinese take out order wrong. A real pro.

Date Posted: October 13 2006 at 3:19pm
Poor bitter Doug.
We feel for you.

-------------
Cheers!

Date Posted: October 13 2006 at 4:14pm

Posted By: Pete
Date Posted: October 13 2006 at 5:29pm
I'm confused.   

Are you related to a certain individual who was band from this forum some time back?   There is something a little too familiar in the vitriloc nature of your posts.

I have seen Madeleine perform in the UK four times in the last two years. London three times (Shepherds Bush, Barbican, and most recently at the London Tower) and in Glasgow. I count myself pretty privileged to have seen her perform live so many times. Each of these performances have been different, but each have been entirely compelling and captivating experiences. Live music at its best.

Hope you get over your disappointing experience Doug.

Sincerely, Pete

Date Posted: October 13 2006 at 6:00pm
No, I'm not that guy. Now he really had an axe to grind. And I won't post again. Ever. Woohoo! But after I whined about my experience in this forum a couple years ago I recieved this private message:

Dear Doug,
I really appreciate you writing to me. Thanks! I apologize for your not
having as good a time as you should have that night. I admit that it was
not a show I would ever boast about. Every artist goes through a few very
rough nights. And if I could make up every last one of them, I would!
If you decide to come to another show, I would be pleased if you'd come
back to meet me afterwards.
   Sincerely Yours,
madeleine

Well, at the time I believed it was her and I guess I still do. I really hadn't posted anything on here in ages but I still check out the site and it seems that she continues to be a crapshoot when it comes to performing. It's just puzzling that the person who wrote that could be that insensitive to her audience. And it isn't fair to all who have been disappointed in the past and will probably be in the future.

Date Posted: October 16 2006 at 4:43pm
I feel for you Doug. I started this unfavorable review & I wish Madi would contact me. When my date & I walk out, I fully expected Madi to throw a wise crack in my direction...the lemmings in the crowd would have gotten a wake up earful. I'm in the media so the more I come in contact with folks in Portland that went to this recent show...the more my review gets validated.

Posted By: Spiff
Date Posted: November 06 2006 at 10:53am

Doug I know how you feel. I wrote a comment about a very poor experience that I had in a concert (Washington) and it was not well received either. Frankly I went to the concert, purchased tickets for three of my friends and really really wanted to have a great time. But the concert was just plain bad. It's not that it wasn't my cup of tea mind you, it was just very unprofessional. She (or a band member) was clearly late so the concert had to be delayed about 45 minutes, then she started without any explanation. She was disjointed and seemed, quite clearly stoned. I know we are all fans of Madeleine's or we wouldn't be here, wouldn't be going to her concerts and buying her CDs. If this many people are complaining about the same thing, than there is clearly something to it. Perhaps, instead of fighting with Doug, someone should contact her or "her people" and try and get her back on track.

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.53 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2008 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com